Friday, June 1, 2012

The Torah Plus Me

The Torah Plus Me
by Rachelle David

I love you.
Perhaps my love is only mental
But it is real
As real as nothing that I ever imagined

When the man came down with you,
I was struck with jealousy,
Which I do know is a sin,
But I could not stop the emotions from flooding in
My skin was crawling with shivers
As I was trying to control my sensations

I wanted to be him
Holding you so closely
  Protecting you 
Never wanting to let go

                                                I wished to hold you like he held you
                                                But my desire was never fulfilled
                                                I was heartbroken
                                                My heart cracked and fell
                                                Abundant as crumbs on a Passover table
                                                But I am still hopeful,
                                                I will never give up,
                                                That one-day we might be closer
                                                Than the North and South poles
                                                Which is how close I feel we are

                                                   I loved you the first time I saw you
                                                  Even though I did not know what you were
                                                     At that time…
                                                  Emotion rushed when I set my eyes upon you
                                                I was slightly light-headed
                                                But not enough to faint
                                                  Because I am stronger than that

                                                  But I have grown to recognize you
                                                 You, and not your many clones
                                                Sometimes it is difficult
                                               And I feel lost without knowing where you are
                                              But I know who you really are
                                            And where you are
                                            So I am still secure
                                            So now I ask:
                                             Do you know me?

                                          If only you could speak
                                            Then you would tell me if I am
                                      Wasting my time
                                         And if I should let devastation set in, or
                                         If you do love me
                                       As much as I love you
                                       And I should banish all my doubts

                                    If only you could hear
                                     Then you would listen to all
                                         My wonderful words,
                                        Let them spread happiness
                                       As they pass through you brain,
                                    And love me because of them
                                      Instead of my physical features
                                   Which you could not see,
                                  Anyway

                                 If only you could kiss
                                Then we would kiss all
                               Through the night
                                And I would adore your lips
                                Smooth as I know they would be
                                 And you could kiss mine
                                    Only because you like being close to me
                              And because you love me
                             For mine are rough and dry

                              But you cannot
                             And I will never know the truth
                            Or maybe I will outgrow this infatuation,
                             Allow my paranoia to skip joyfully into the distance
                        Hopefully I will not cry like a parent
                      Whose last child just left the house
                       But instead like an emotional opera singer
                     Who was too passionate about the play
                        And cried lightly out of zeal.
                     I hope I cry like that, when this unhealthy bond concludes
                   And come to understand
                   That you love me more than I will ever be able to love you

No comments:

Post a Comment