Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Castaway




A Castaway
By Rebecca Rosen

I put on my dress, silk laden and light
Feathery to the touch, smooth as butter on my skin
The jewels sparkled in the setting sun
So perfect and pure,
Heavens gifts and to my good fortune I have received them
Drops of galaxy from a faraway place
Somewhere up there

I find myself wondering, is it worth it?
I love my precious jewels yes of course I do
But do I love him? Do I really love him?
This is love, because it must be.

I sit there, the velvet seat cushion like a cloud underneath
So soft so inviting.  But is this what happiness is?
A party? A dress? Jewels?
I am not an instrument,
Available to be played whenever is needed or desired.
I am me, I am strong I am independent.

I am done with this life I assure myself through a drunken stupor
And yet I feel that pang of longing and sorrow
Is this love anyway?
The constant reminder you aren’t good enough.
A crown isn’t worth this
All the jewels in the world aren’t worth this

And so I watch slowly around me
As I become the center of attention
Strewn from my home as quickly as you could say
“Let me stay…” but I didn’t mean it all.
I am saved
I am happy
I am finally alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment