Monday, November 3, 2014

Chasing the Reneissance (Part I)

by Daniela Benzaquen

"I can't deal with idiots, Stephan!" I shout into my phone. "Are you an idiot?" I say.
"No Katherine. But just hear me out," he pleads.
"I don't have time for your imbecilic antics," I rebuke.
"Kat-" he starts.
"Don't call me that."
"Just listen. You know me. I've never let you down. Just let me have the piece for twenty. I'll pay you back the last ten mil when I can." His attempt to reason with me only irks me further. I know he has the money. He has no reason to hold it back from me.
"We talked about this. I won't do it. I can't. You know that." I look to my father who is sorting through paperwork at his desk.
"Fine. I'll talk to my father. Don't sell that painting to anyone," he says.
"I make no promises." And finally I hang up.

My father looks at me. When I see his intimidating look, I lower my eyes to look around his study. The bookshelves covering the walls bring me comfort under his intense stare.

The screen of my phone lights up, indicating an incoming call. The next buyer has my serious expression fading and the corners of my mouth turning up, to begin to form a smile. The two of us share a melodious laugh.

I press the green button and bring the phone to my ear. "Ben," I greet.
"I have the forty we discussed." His words please me.
"Fantastic. Come by to make the exchange."
"I'll stop by tomorrow." He says.
"Alright."
I put the phone down and bask in the shade of pride in my father's beaming smile. He opens his arms, inviting me for a hug. I wrap my arms around his torso and squeeze once.
"Well done," he says. He pulls back nodding in approval, indicating my dismissal.

I glance at my watch on my way out, 10:26. I need to get to the hospital.





No comments:

Post a Comment