Monday, February 4, 2013

The Butterfly Effect (Part III)

by Rebecca Rosen


“Aldabert, you know we will end up together, what is all the fuss about? We both have the same grades in every class, participate in the same afterschool activities, I mean it is inevitable.” I said trying to reassure myself more than anyone.
“We do not know that for sure until the day of, Beata! What if we are separated, then what, huh? Are you just going to wag your finger in the government’s face’s and say ‘no I belong elsewhere,’ or, ‘you guys made a mistake?’ It’s rubbish! There is always that slight chance, Beata, and I do not think you get it!” He’s shaking now.  What is going on?
“Aldabert, I will say it again, I am sorry for acting this way, it is just I have been thinking a lot about us lately.  You are the closest thing I have to family, and in seven days you can be taken from me just as quickly as my real family was.  I do not know how to cope with it.” Oh no, I feel the water works coming. “Aldabert, I can’t loose you too…” Here we go.  I start to sob into my hand, embarrassed for Aldabert to see me this way.  I stop my selfish sobs for a moment and look up. 
“Aldabert?” Where in the world is he?
“Aldabert, seriously?” Complete silence is the only response. 
“ALDABERT! WHERE ARE YOU?” I scream with all the voice I have left.  It sounds broken, scratched, worn. 
I wait about three minutes but begin to become impatient so I start gathering my things.  I put my shoes back on and fold the blanket. 
I bring it with me just in case Aldabert does not return to gather his things. 
“C’mon Bessie, let’s go.”
The sun starts to set and the mosquitoes are beginning to feast on my flesh.  I stop to scratch my leg when I hear cracking twigs. 
“Who is there?” I ask.  Another crack of a twig, it seems to be getting closer. 
“Answer me, who goes there!”
I look in all directions; it is dusk now.  The trees all seem to blend together in an endless sea of green.  I cannot tell which way is the way I came; which is the way out? I try to listen for the sounds of townspeople, but all I can hear is my heavy breathing and the thud of my quickening heartbeat.  I start to sweat and realize what if I don’t get out of here before morning? What will the guards say? All of a sudden, I hear breathing behind me.  I turn around and standing there in front of me is a black, hooded figure.  He is holding a syringe, and I cannot see his face.
“Aldabert?”
And suddenly, everything goes a blinding white. 

I do not dream at all that night.
I am awaked suddenly by the whispering of my name in my ear. 
“Beata, Beata can you hear me?”
I open my eyes and there he is, Aldabert, without a scratch. 
“Listen, Beata, I know you are angry about yesterday, but I had to go.  This whole situation was just a little too intense for me and I had to take a breather.  I came back five minutes later and you were gone, along with all of my stuff.  That is when I began to get worried.  I looked around the entire perimeter of the lake and could not find you anywhere, and that is when I heard Bessie barking furiously. I followed her barking, and that is when I saw you, lying there on the forest floor.  At first I thought you were playing some sick joke on me, so I shook you, you know, playing along.  It is when you did not move that I got even more worried. I checked for a pulse; steady but low, and you were definitely unconscious.  I had to get you help so I ran you over to the nearest house and asked to use their phone to call your guards.  Beata, I was gone for five minutes! How did you manage to get yourself into trouble?”
“Aldabert.  It is nice to see you, too!” I say, sounding very, very tipsy, slurring my words.
“Beata, this is not a joke.  Why were you unconscious in the middle of the forest? What happened to you?” Aldabert looked like one of those puppies you find sitting on a street corner all alone.  I just want to hug him until he explodes. 
He begins to shake me, “Beata pay attention! What happened?”
“I was walking, and trying to find you.  I gave up eventually and gathered our things up and started to head out with Bess.  I was walking when I heard footsteps behind me and twigs snapping.  I yelled for you so many times and at that point it was already beginning to get dark.  I could not find which way was which and that is when I saw it.”
“Beata, what did you see?”
“I saw,” and I start to stutter.  Not only do I stutter, but I begin to convulse.  I can feel the foam pouring from my mouth. I can hear the guards telling Aldabert that he needs to leave now and not to try getting in contact with me.  I am shaking so much, everything is blurry.  I am just about to give up…
And then it stops, and I am completely fine.  Wait, what just happened? I look to my sides and see that both of my guards are holding down my arms and trying as best as they can not to self destruct.  I whisper “I’m sorry,” to both of them and turn over to look at my digital clock.  It reads 12:00 PM in its holographic yellow letters.  My eyes feel heavy as does my entire body.  A little nap couldn’t hurt anybody, right?

I am startled awake by my reoccurring nightmare and look at my clock.  It reads 3:30 PM.  Oh, three hours, that is not so bad.  I stand up and walk to the kitchen. The female guard is standing in the doorway. 
“Hi,” I say.
“How did you sleep?” she asks me.
“Same as usual,” I respond. 
“You have been sleeping for a long while now,” she says.
“What do you mean? I have only been sleeping for three and a half hours.”
“You have been asleep for two days straight, Beata,” she answers. 
“Two days straight! What is today’s date!” I yell a little bit louder than necessary. 
“June the twenty third,” it answers me. 

Tomorrow is the day of the sorting.

“How long have I been asleep?”
“ As I said, about two days”
“I need to see Aldabert. Now.”
“So sorry Beata, doctors orders are that you must stay home in bed, no visitors at all.”
Are you kidding me? I wonder if I could get any luckier.  They day before the sorting and I am stuck at home in bed?
“I need to use the phone”

“To speak to whom?”
“None of your business.” I start to get annoyed
“As your guard I must know who you associate yourself with.”
“You know what, you might be my guard, but you are NOT AT ALL my parent!”

I storm out of the room, hatred coursing through my veins.  I feel it growing larger, this feeling, in the pit of my stomach, begging to rip my body open and attack anyone in its way.  Good, let it attack anybody, I do not care anymore. The one person in the world who actually means something to me is not allowed anywhere near me? Screw this.  I am done.

“I am leaving! Goodbye!” I shout while storming through the kitchen.  I hope they heard me.  Bessie follows behind me, prancing. 
“Oh no you are not,” the male guard says, standing suddenly before me.  It speaks in a sarcastic tone, one I have never heard come out of his mouth.  
I continue to stomp throughout the house like a spoiled five year old, but I do not care.  They deserve this, they all deserve this. 
“Don’t try to stop me.  I will be out of your lives soon enough, and one day won’t make a difference I am sure.” I spit in their faces.  I reach my hand towards the door and I feel empowered.  I have never stood up to them before.  I open the door wide and breathe in a gust of fresh air.  I start running down the pathway when I feel something. Something is holding me back, like a force field that is drawing me nearer to the house, and farther away from the outside world.  My feet are moving backward but my mind tries to push them forward.  Before I can count to three I am back inside the house, standing by the door, my back facing the guards.  I turn around and see the crimson in their eyes.  The frustrated look on their faces.  They are doing this to me.  They are drawing me back to the house.  Have I lost complete control of my life?


To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment