Monday, February 4, 2013

A Helping Hand


by Sherry Simkovic

Tripping and trembling
Unsteady on my own two feet
Quaking legs
Like a young horse's
Sent out into the world
Only to return
Bitter Defeat stinging my tongue
Thought you had given me
The tools to succeed
The lessons to live by
The morals to have
Call me soulless and empty
As I begin to fall
Rather than help me up
You bring me even farther down
So tell me
You taught me to handle it
Enlighten me
As to what is wrong with my spirit
And I'll stand here and take it
Because that is what I do
After a few moments
You'll dangle the carrot once again
You and your cogent ways always convincing me to venture out
Try try and try again
Encouraging pats
Supportive smiles
The world is my oyster
You say
And yet
A crack opens up
The earth has betrayed me
The abyss too wide to jump
No way around
I turn around
With burning eyes
A choking throat
An aching heart
Comes the time to begin again

No comments:

Post a Comment