Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Yes, She's With Me

by Naomi Sternstein


As a Friday ritual, I begin with my own version of the “check, call, care” routine and stick my face into the nearest window, the window into her heart and soul, or at least the window into the room where her heart and soul spend the majority of their time. When she finally happens to glance up and see my face peering in at her through the window, her expression of extreme concentration on the article at hand turns to one of pure delight and excitement; her mouth and eyes open wide in her version of a smile. Once I see that I’ve caught her attention, I then proceed to make silly faces at her through the window, solely for her enjoyment, of course; these may or may not include sticking out my tongue, blowing up my face with air, and crossing my eyes.
Slowly, my Bubby strains her legs to support herself and rises from the chair, the chair so imprinted with the form of her body that, though she is now standing, it is hard not to imagine her shape still sitting there. As she begins to meander her way through the hall to the front door, a path that I know so well, I take the necessary step to my left, stick my hand through her mail slot, and patiently await her arrival.
When I feel her soft wrinkled fingers on mine through the slot, I retract my hand and let her open the front door. I give her a big hug and let her kiss me on the forehead before dropping off her groceries on the kitchen table. I then try my hand at getting her out the front door as quickly as possible, although I have yet to reach my speed goal.
Throughout the car ride home I sacrifice myself to a rigorous hand-holding session, not relenting to my own comfort until my familiar pink front door comes into view. I slyly slip my hand away and jump out of the car and, fighting the need to run into my house, I turn around to help the old lady out of the vehicle.
The gloomy grey sky’s promise is disappointingly fulfilled just as I am pulling open my Bubby’s door, and, while I watch her slowly and painstakingly gather up her belongings, bag after bag of carefully collected junk in the form of presents, I realize that my future does not look very dry. I try to help her by grabbing some of her bundles and beg her to leave others in the car with a promise of a later retrieval. We have a system in my family; she floods our house with useless newly-rediscovered items, and we graciously accept them because it is the only way my father can throw things out and clean up her house. Of course, she takes the process of gift-giving very seriously and is wary of leaving her precious goods in the car. “Just let me bring them in!” she says stubbornly, clearly unaware that I am standing in the rain.
 Already soaked through my clothes yet still not past the point of caring, I’m too frustrated to realize that I am pulling her by the hand, desperate to get inside. The image of the parents pulling along their children on those baby-leashes briefly comes to mind, an idea that, under normal circumstances, might prompt a smile but now can’t even get a lip-twitch out of me. When I finally muster up enough strength to pull her into the front door, I brutishly fling everything on the ground and run upstairs to change clothes, leaving the downstairs inhabitants to say their ‘hellos’ and handle the newly arrived guest. I feel perfectly content wearing my ‘don’t-come-within-a-20-feet-radius’ face and even frown sympathetically when I hear the melody of my grandmother showering my sister’s forehead with an infinite amount of kisses to the tune of ‘Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star’.
On my way back to civilization I manage to calm down a little, but I walk slowly down the stairs and into the kitchen, still unsure of what my slightly oblivious grandma will be up to. I gingerly stick my head through the kitchen door and, seeing her and my sister sitting at the table reading magazines, I deem it safe enough to enter.
            When Bubby sees me, she perfectly forgets our previous episode and feels the impulse to supply me with fragments from her vast knowledge of not-necessarily-true information. “I read that you shouldn’t wash your hair more than once every other week. If you wash your hair too much then you’ll have to start dyeing it at a younger age”. She then proceeds to reminisce in a lengthy monologue about what her hairdresser told her when she first started dyeing her hair, and doesn’t stop before she adds, “Loosen your ponytail; you’re going to get a receding hairline like your cousin Jen”. My cousin, in her defense, does not have a receding hairline; her forehead is just on the larger side. 
           After flipping through a few pages of her magazine my grandma pauses and forms a look of explicit concentration, furrowing her eyebrows and staring at the particular page with eyes that one would be surprised to know do not, in fact, contain lasers. After examining the page and coming to the same conclusion that she comes to at least once a week, she looks up at me and says rather matter of factly, “It looks like full skirts and long hair are the style now”.  Now, I choose not to answer this particular interjection because I know that full skirts and long hair happen to have been the concluded “style” of every month of every season for the past three years. When she realizes that I will just continue to make eye contact with her without actually offering some sort of verbal response she opts to go back to making eye contact with her magazine instead.
If there’s one thing my grandma knows, its magazines. Well, that and channel 24 news, the only channel that gives her hourly company in her small TV room; and her lifeline into the real world. But in that room also sits a stack of magazines of all types, food, home, fashion, men’s health. You name it, she subscribes. And I subscribe vicariously through her, I guess.  
I decide to sit down alongside her and read one of the magazines that she gifted us with, one of the pleasures buried in the stress that comes along with having my grandma for dinner. I am halfway through reading about this season’s ‘Must-Haves!’, an article with claims so grave and urgent that I am contemplating running out the front door that second on a search of items that I see no chance of survival without, when, out of the corner of my eye, I see my grandma scrunch up her face. “Would you wear this!” she exclaims, put more as a comment for which the obvious answer should be “Goodness, no!” than a question, and slides the magazine over to me. The picture is that of a model wearing crazy geometric-shaped Lady Gaga-esqe platform shoes. Clearly no sane person, let alone me, would ever consider wearing these shoes, yet I enthusiastically inform her that I not only love them, but also wish I had a pair in my size. In response she opens her mouth and eyes in surprise, looks at my sister and lifts her shoulders up in a shrug, and returns to her shocking photos.
I make sure that she is still distracted by her article on the dangers of something before I hurry to set the table for dinner. Luckily, today she has a magazine to occupy her attention, for on other less unfortunate days she insists on playing the role of table-setter and I must watch in suspense, waiting for her to drop and break a cup or plate.
After putting the food on the table, my family and I, Bubby included, take our usual spots at the dining room table. My sisters and I usually alternate between sitting next to my grandma and today happens to be my turn to help her with her food and give her smiles of encouragement in case she feels excluded for lack of a remote that turns up the conversation volume. When she offers me the bowl of salad even though I have enough salad on my plate I politely refuse and show her my proud assortment of colorful veggies, and throw in a smile free of charge. I can’t say I respond as patiently when she offers me the salad five minutes later, and then again three minutes after that. I am sorry to say that I just might have initially responded by continuously offering her a certain food option that she happened to already be eating until she, too, reached a point of frustration. When I notice Bubby’s pout and slow-swiveling head I grab her hand and smile at her. After she continues to hold my hand for the remainder of dinner, I know that was all that she needed. I will never repeatedly offer her food again, unless of course it’s a triple chocolate, chocolate cake, of which she will never tire; when her plate has no more room Bubby has no problem wrapping up leftovers and sneaking them into her purse. This is only when no one is looking, of course.
I move past my momentary lapse in kindergarten-taught manners, because two wrongs do not equal a right, and enjoy my family’s company. We’re a jolly group. We discuss a wide range of topics from which dessert is chocolatier and therefore better to the best foolproof method for solving world peace. When we’ve finished discussing the details of our oh, so complicated lives we often break into spontaneous song. Might I add that my sisters and I have quite the a-cappella group going, and if any of us had any singing ability we’d be straight down the path of a record deal.  
During this spectacle I happen to glance over at my Bubby and see her hands covering her eyes, tears streaming down. “My husband would be so proud of you all. He would be so happy,” she tells me. Under normal circumstances, that word choice for my Poppop, “my husband,” usually encourages an eye roll because he was my grandpa too, but now I feel a pang in my chest. My natural instinct is to get up and wrap my arms around my Bubby. I slowly walk over to her and slide onto her lap, a comforting gesture that I know she has loved ever since I was a little girl, when we would both fall asleep, she on a chair in her little TV room and I on her cushiony lap, wrapped in her warm embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment