Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Scarlet Scar

by Michelle Kohansieh


I understand it was my fault
Although
I believe it was my right
It was not betrayal
I filled a zealous compulsion

With him gone in the clouds I thought I was safe
So I left to another
The night with the paramour filled me with
No worries, just vivid dreams
And the necklace of Pearls he gave me

Last night he came back
Chills clenched my skin
Premonition coursed through my veins
I was unwilling to face his kiss
We both knew something was wrong

The next morning he stared at the Pearls
They were stuck like static to my neck
Momentarily touching it with his bare finger 
He pulled back
Shocked from the unsolicited knowledge


Seeking revenge, he now creeps up behind me
A blade in his hand sharp as a claw
I await his pounce
Wondering,
Can he here my muted cry?

The bright walls darken with his shadow
I feel the onlooker’s piercing eyes
A master of torment
He takes the blade
Swipes it through my breast

I yell, emit a shriek
My pain is heard
I bleed tears
My cries are seen
I heal a scarlet scar
My actions are shown

Tomorrow, I will let my hair down
Covering the scar
I will sell the Pearls to a wealthy fellow
Go back to love
And when the time is right,
I will share my scarlet scar

No comments:

Post a Comment