Thursday, December 6, 2012

Creative Combustion

by Sarah Silverstein




With my legs crossed right over left and my hands placed comfortably in my lap, I sat in the main sanctuary. As Monday morning had come yet again, I found myself feeling as if I had never left the building. I sat and listened to the turning pages of the Siddurim, a cough here and there, but mostly, I listened to silence. My eyes scanned the back of the room, traveling from one familiar face to the next. Suddenly, my view shifted, my eyes met the stained glass windows. I had seen these windows many times before; why had I just then noticed their beauty? I was hypnotized by their different colors, captivated by their seamless fluidity. I could feel the gears in my head being to turn. My imagination had been kicked in the butt! As thoughts ran a mile a minuet, my brain struggled to match their pace. I reached for a piece of paper as millions of feelings and fragmented of ideas poured out of my mind.  The words: “Learn all the beautiful sounding words in Italian” and “Create edible tape” made their way onto my notepad.  I was a creative mess, practically bleeding ideas. I didn’t know how my thoughts were connected, I didn’t know how they were sparked, but somehow the stained glass windows had awoken something inside of me. After feeling such a strong connection to my unconscious thought, my creativity, my imagination, I realized that I could not let go of this inspiration. I had gotten lucky; inspiration had somehow just hit me. From then on I refused to take my creativity for granted. As so famously said by Jack London “You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club.”

No comments:

Post a Comment