Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Who I Am


Who I Am
A Poem by Sherry Simkovic
Adapted from”Chi Sono?” (Who Am I?) by Aldo Palazzeschi

When you look into a mirror
What do you see?
Perhaps
Two eyes
A nose
A mouth
Defining features
When I look into a mirror
What do I see?
What defines me?
Who am I?
Am I a romantic?
No of course not.
The Taylor Swift song of my heart serenades my listeners with just one chorus,
 folly
Am I a swooner?
No of course not.
The eye and heart of my soul sway at the resonance of just one familiar face,
nostalgia
Am I somebody's sweetheart?
No of course not.
The hard shell that used to be my heart melts for just one being, melancholy
So what am I then?
Mirror mirror
Am I romantic?
Of course not
For all I see is
A stubborn girl who refuses to let go
Blinking back at me.


No comments:

Post a Comment